Monday, June 16, 2014

No Greater Thing


Nothing compares to knowing Jesus.   

The Apostle Paul wrote about this in what some scholars believe may have been his final letter to the church from a Roman prison. 
Paul was facing the possibility of his own death even though he seemed sure he "would remain." (see Philippians 1:25)
Facing one's own death tends to cause a person to focus on the things that are most important in life; Faith, family, and friends.

All of the other stuff of life seems to lose its sparkle.

Paul seemed to have unique ability to put into writing the most important things. In addition to his instructions to the churches, Paul sometimes gave us glimpses into his own soul. 

 

"The very credentials these people are waving around as something special, I’m tearing up and throwing out with the trash—along with everything else I used to take credit for. And why? Because of Christ. Yes, all the things I once thought were so important are gone from my life. Compared to the high privilege of knowing Christ Jesus as my Master, firsthand, everything I once thought I had going for me is insignificant—dog dung. I’ve dumped it all in the trash so that I could embrace Christ and be embraced by him. I didn’t want some petty, inferior brand of righteousness that comes from keeping a list of rules when I could get the robust kind that comes from trusting Christ—God’s righteousness.." Philippians 3:7-9 The Message



If you knew this was your last week in planet earth, what would be most important to you? 
Would you spend time with just you and God praying and listening?

Would you tell your family and friends how much you love them?
Would you throw a party?
Or would you curse God and beg for more time?
I remember watching an interview of a man who survived a horrible fiery plane crash. He said that as the plane was going down, he heard people calling out to God. Some were begging for help, some were thanking Him for their lives, but some were cursing Him.
Much like squeezing a tube of toothpaste, at the moment of most stress, whatever is inside your heart comes out of your mouth. 
I said to someone recently that, "everyone wants to go to Heaven, but nobody wants to die to get there "
Unfortunately, until Jesus comes back, there is only one way off this planet (unless you're an astronaut - but I digress).
So knowing that we are all terminal, what is most important to you?


This morning I've been thinking about the song "Knowing You" by Graham Kendrick.  Some of the lyrics really speak to my heart:
All I once held dear, built my life upon
All this world reveres, and wars to own
All I once thought gain I have counted loss
Spent and worthless now, compared to this

Knowing you, Jesus
Knowing you, there is no greater thing
You're my all, you're the best
You're my joy, my righteousness
And I love you, Lord
There is no greater thing, nothing compares to knowing Jesus...

 

2 comments:

  1. Nice, very well put. When one thinks about those things that are most important in life, I think one rarely thinks of those earthly possessions we all strive for--money, nice cars, nice homes, etc., unless one's values are completely out of whack (and unfortunately many people's are). Regardless, I think most people see the value of what's real--faith, family, friends as you say above, and I add the love that one has shared with others on this journey of life.

    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete